About the Role
True Fit seeks a Site Reliability Engineer to work with our operations team help operate, automate, and deliver on our service platform. Successful candidates will be in large part developer, part systems engineer, part system administrator, and a whole lot of drive. This role involves just about everything that goes on behind the scenes – from monitoring the health of our clusters, automating data feeds and performance testing, to the programmatic building of our infrastructure. We will look to you to provide development expertise and guidance as part of the operations team.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Evolve our continuous deployment infrastructure. Our deployment infrastructure is the lifeline tying our development teams to the True Fit base. We rely heavily it's success, and will look to you to help provide guidance and direction for it's growth.
- Programmatically build and administer cloud based Linux servers (Ubuntu, RHEL) on AWS. True Fit lives entirely in the cloud. We need someone who understands what this means and is comfortable navigating these seas. We need you to know what things like RDS, EC2, Cloudwatch, Lambda, Route53, and VPC mean, and a willingness to utilize their apis.
- Architect deployment systems for our application software. True Fit utilizes the cutting edge in analytics engines and methods in our systems. We need someone willing and able to build and utilize a varied knowledge base to support what we do.
- Automate the world. We're a lean shop, and we work at a breakneck pace. If it needs doing more than once, it needs to be automated. Build, deployment, monitoring, testing, and infrastructure are all within our automation sphere.
- Analyze and troubleshoot network and infrastructure issues. True Fit's environment demands a sharp mind and rapier analytical skills. We run into issues now and again, and we rely on smart people to tease a problem apart to find elegant solutions.
- Monitor and measure system performance. The heart of any well-tuned system is a known system. True Fit must understand what's going on under our hood and requires someone mindful of details.
- Work with other departments to design and build operations-friendly software. While our operations infrastructure may provide the guts of the True Fit machine, our product & support people, engineers, and scientists, provide the heart, mind, and soul of what we do. We'll need a person who can liaise with other departments, understand their needs, and collaborate to find solutions.
- Participate in our agile development environment. We maintain a fast moving, but tight ship. We need a person that can pull recent changes, commit a fix, and push a working system back into our infrastructure.
Qualifications and Skills
- 2+ years as a system administrator, network engineer, build engineer, or software developer. True Fit is looking for a person ready to get their hands dirty. Vast seas of knowledge are not a requirement, but we do look for a quick and inquisitive mind, and one capable of applying what is learned. A development background is preferred.
- Experience in an environment that develops and releases commercial software products in hosted environments. We're looking for someone that understands an agile release process and can contribute to the support of our systems release processes.
- Proficiency in the Open Source Ecosystem. We're looking for a person steeped in the open source tea and proficient in that ecosystem. You can expect to see and be responsible for various different systems' smooth functioning.
- Expert scripting skills in at least one of shell, python, perl, ruby, etc. We live and breathe by our code and processes. We need someone that can speak our language.
- Some datastore knowledge. True Fit's data collection is vast and varied. Ideally, you'll have relational database acumen. Postgres & Oracle are preferred. NoSQL knowledge a la Mongo or Hadoop would be a plus as well.
- Knowledge of configuration management / desired state frameworks. Our systems are built by our code. We're looking for a person with knowledge of Chef, Puppet, Ansible, etc.
- Undergraduate degree in a quantitative field (Math, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science) or relevant experience. We find a STEM background or relative industry experience sets people up for success in this position.
- Strong listening and communications skills. We need to understand what's up, and for you to do the same! What's needed? Where are we going? How are we getting there? How's our progress?
- Highly motivated self-starter and can do attitude. We need you to get your hands dirty and to go shoulder deep when required. We also need a person able to suss out where the work needs to be done.
Benefits and Perks
- TrueFit offers our employees health care, paid time off, retirement savings plans, parental leave, and professional development opportunities.
- We also provide in-office meals, a fully stocked kitchen, an open office full of fun, generous, and friendly people, & company outings.